Sunday, February 17, 2013

Mira que me vaya!

So I know I have put you all under this impression that I see more of the inside of my eyelids than Chulucanas, but I'd like you to know, that is not quite the case! One, it is too hot to sleep most of the time! Two, it is too loud to sleep all of the time! Three, I have some responsibilities and lately lots more plans!

Events of the last week and a half have included:

Meeting and spending the day with the some of the Cordova family, my host Dad is one of 14 kids! Of course the first thing Haynes' oldest brother asks me about is my political views and opinions of the US Government. Not only do I not want to talk about that in English, I really don't want to talk about that in Spanish!

Going to the family Shakra, or farm, to pick mangos, bananas, and oranges! However, the best part about this adventure was the 45 minute moto ride there and back through the heat, dust, town, bumpy dirt roads, the beautiful countryside, the rivers, and the forest!

Experiencing the (backyard sized) pool of Chulucanas, where there are no lounge chairs, no diving boards, and the women are all too embarrassed to wear bathing suits they wear their clothes in the pool instead!

Attending Carnival, or Fat Tuesday, fiestas in the Obispado! Now that was a treat, picture cotillion class or a 6th grade party. The chairs are set up in a large circle, everyone enters, takes a seat, waits for food to be passed around the circle, then Coke (in the bishop's house no beer here), then more food, until it is time to dance. To start the dancing two people get up, they dance in the middle of the circle four feet away from one another both doing their own thing. After the song they return to their seats until the next song comes on. The women are then each individually approached by a male and asked to dance.

Starting to teach classes at the university. The university is about 10 classrooms built into an old warehouse, but it's built and that's exciting for Chulu! Our first couple classes have been a little frustrating and challenging, but in the end really enjoyable to see their progress. (Also, a pretty easy way to pick up a date if I wanted one, for I normally have boys waiting to talk to me after class.)

Learning to cook, a little, more so watching them cook and occasionally doing something.

Eating guiney pig that was killed, skinned, cleaned, and hung on our clothes line all day!

Happy hours every Sunday at our favorite elderly American couple's house! Ed and Pat come down every year for three months to volunteer. Such an amazing couple, who's main job here is to live as an example to the people of what a loving, spiritual marriage is all about! Eighty percent of couples in Chulu are not married because they don't want to be, makes for lots of complications.

Hand washing my clothes! Takes about two hours to complete the six step process of scrubbing, wringing out the clothes, then hanging them up. Not gonna lie it's an arm workout! Also, was told the type of underwear I like is only worn here by prostitutes in Lima. Awkward...

Hanging out with my soon to be co-teacher, Yenni! Helped her give an exam where we sat in the back of the room talking to each other, or her talking on her phone the whole test!

Improving my Spanish, even had some talks about the War in Iraq, gay marriage, Peruvian upcoming election, lack of good family dynamics here, lack of discipline of kids in Chulu, countries with drug problems, my "novio" (boyfriend), scar stories, and other bonding moments with my family!

Riding on motorcycles!

Dancing! We went to the discoteca for the holiday of San Valentine! Little different than the bishops party...1- there was beer 2- people dance with each other 3- everyone is dripping in sweat it's so hot and so crowded 4- I am now "in love" with a boy from the U.S., so no Peruvian boy you cannot marry me or even kiss me, but thanks for asking first!

Going to the river with our 13 to 15 year old siblings. Always a little drama to be found with this age range, but still a fun, pretty trip for sure!

Drinking beer Peruvian style. One 32 oz beer and a cup is passed around the circle. Each person takes the beer pours a little in their cup, then dumps the foam on the ground before passing it to the next person! Yup, sounds like a nice way to spread germs!

No comments:

Post a Comment